Why You Might Want to Become a Premium Member

Entrance to Second Life is currently free, and you do not need to become a Premium member to enjoy most of what it offers. There are some visitors who pride themselves on their 'hobo' lifestyles, and who take advantage of all the 'freebies' out there.

Still at a minimum it is a good idea to have payment information set up on your account so that you can buy Lindens (Second Life money). With Lindens you can get a place to live, buy clothes, etc.. also, some venues do not allow avatars without payment information on file to enter. 

Second Life offers incentives for visitors to become 'Premium' members. They currently are:

-------

A weekly L$300 stipend or allowance. This usually comes on Tuesdays, and you can 'spend' it for a lot of things. Some frugal avatars save it up and cash it out to help pay for their next renewal.

A one-time L$1000 sign-up bonus.

Priority entry when a region is full - Think of it as a VIP entrance. Use of Premium areas and experiences (mainly the Premium sandboxes).

Live-chat customer support (for what it is worth).

Premium virtual gifts - for example, last year they gave out holiday lights and decorations.

More membership slots and increased cap on instant messages.

Voice Morphing for those who use live chat.

The major benefit is the 1024 'free' tier allotment. This allows you to choose a Linden Home (subject to availability), or, if you prefer Mainland, to have 1024 deducted from your tier after you have acquired land from Second Life. (See "How Not To Buy Land" for more information). 

-------

I have been in Second Life for years, and have almost always had at least one Premium alt because I wanted to contribute to the community, and I liked to 'own' land on the Mainland rather than rent. Recent events have left me 'virtually' homeless though and I'm not sure I'm going back.

Still, I don't want my sour grapes to dissuade you.  If you can afford it I would recommend getting a Premium membership. Just don't confuse 'virtual' with 'reality'.







1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I'm a freelance writer for AARP Magazine, and we're working on a series of short profiles articles for an upcoming issue focusing on gamers and digital world enthusiasts over 50. Despite being a long-time gamer myself, I didn't realize that Second Life still existed!

    I was really fascinated to read more about your experience and involvement in the online Second Life community.

    Would you be interested in connecting for a potential profile interview to talk about experience and what you've gained from being an avid Second Life user?

    We're on a bit of a tight deadline, so I'd love to get in touch with you ASAP if you're interested and available. Please feel free to reach out to me directly via my personal/work email: thenathanmeunier@gmail.com

    Thanks so much for your time! I hope to hear from you soon.

    Sincerely,
    Nathan Meunier
    Freelance Writer / AARP Magazine
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathanmeunier/
    https://www.aarp.org/magazine/

    ReplyDelete

Nostalgia by Cica Ghost in Second Life

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mysterious%20Isle/112/113/27 At the exhibit you can get a free ventilator hat almost like Cica's B...